VCA San Martin Animal Hospitalis seeking a leadership minded veterinarian ready for the next step in their career. Join us as a Medical Veterinarian and help shape the medicine in our progressive, multi-doctor small animal practice located near beautiful Morgan Hill, California.
Situated just minutes from San Jose, VCA San Martin is a bustling hospital that sees a healthy mix of wellness and complicated medical cases. The practice is well established and we are proud of our collegial atmosphere and high level of medical care. The ideal candidate would be motivated, friendly, and compassionate and mentorship is available for those just starting their leadership experience. We specialize in dogs and cats and our experienced medical team, consisting of 6 nurses, a dedicated hospital manager, and 3 well-trained, friendly receptionists, is fully trained on the latest veterinary medicine and procedures, ensuring your clinic day runs smoothly and allowing you to provide the best medicine for your patients.
About the Hospital:
Our well-appointed hospital includes 4 exam rooms, a treatment area, a surgery suite, and high quality boarding.
In-house laboratory along with convenient Antech laboratories pick ups for all other diagnostics.
Digital Dental X-rays
In house ECG
Chiropractic services available
Adoption services for our community
Complete pharmacy '“ large inventory of established pharmaceuticals as well as many of the latest developments
Morgan Hill is located in southern Santa Clara Valley, approximately 12 miles south of San Jose and 15 miles inland from the Pacific Coast. The Valley is surrounded by the Santa Cruz mountain range to the west and the Diablo mountain range to the east. Its picturesque hillside setting and exceptional quality of life are very appealing. Parks and open spaces abound, making Morgan Hill one of the last communities in the region with a charming, small town atmosphere and a short commute to the businesses of the Silicon Valley. Caltrain runs daily through the city and connects commuters to San Jose's light rail systems throughout the Bay Area. Downtown contributes to the charm of the city with over 30 restaurants, boutiques stores, historic buildings, and local street fairs with festivals that attract 250,000 visitors each year. It has all the benefits of working in the country while being only a short drive from a big urban environment. If you love a small-town atmosphere, farm-fresh produce, and a pastoral setting, this is the place for you.
The Medical Director (MD) under direction of the field management team, is responsible for establishing the medical quality and patient care practiced by all doctors in a given hospital. The MD achieves this through strong leadership and serving as a mentor and role model for the associate veterinarians and staff. A MD should demonstrate a strong work ethic, integrity, and a consistent positive attitude. The MD is also an integral part of the hospital management team responsible for the overall financial performance of the hospital, and helps create and drive the overall direction for the hospital that will achieve positive results. The MD also fulfills all of the duties of a staff veterinarian in addition to the specific responsibilities of Medical Director.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
* Well-developed interpersonal skills.
* Ability to take information obtained from clients, staff, and other sources, discern that which is credible, and assess the hospital and/or a situation objectively.
* Ability to multi-task and deal with high levels of stress in an environment of changing priorities.
* Is able to take charge, initiate actions, hold people accountable, and delegate responsibilities in such a way as to achieve positive results.
* Comfortably and confidently confronts difficult issues with co-workers and is a skilled communicator at multiple levels within VCA.
* Is capable of, and willing to work the hours necessary to accomplish the required responsibilities and ensure the smooth operation of the hospital.
Education and Experience:
* Doctor of Veterinary Medicine or equivalent from an accredited university.
* Stays up to date with changes in veterinary medicine, fulfils VCA requirements for attending local VCA hosted CE, and completes a minimum of 30 hours of accredited CE per calendar year.
* Maintains a current DEA license
Standards of Care:
'¢ Strives to meet or exceed the VCA and AAHA standards of care.
'¢ Medical records are complete, detailed, and signed per VCA guidelines.
'¢ Demonstrates commitment to professional integrity and pursuit of excellence.
'¢ Practices ethical medicine at all times, and ensures the same from associate doctors.
'¢ Ensures positive communication with clients and between doctors. This includes the
proper transfer of patient care responsibility between doctors.
'¢ Implements information from CMO, RMD, ROD or their representatives.
* VCA email and correspondence is processed and addressed on a daily basis.
'¢ Is the primary liaison with Antech Diagnostics and maintains an appropriate level of in-house
vs. outside lab sample submission.
'¢ Treats all patients & clients with care and compassion, remembering that the patient'™s wellbeing is
the top priority.
'¢ Oversees administration and case review of client medical complaints and resolves the
problems when possible, while keeping the RMD and ROD informed of progress.
Staff Management: Professional Staff:
* Implements and maintain consistent medical standards and guidelines within the hospital.
* Evaluate quality medical/compliance reports on a monthly basis and take steps to improve areas of poor performance.
* Organize systems for daily medical rounds and ensure they are consistently conducted.
* Review patient records for completeness and accuracy and use as a tool to promote medical excellence.
* Regularly discuss cases with doctors and/or staff to optimize patient care.
* Ensure that credit for procedures is accurately appropriated, and review the detailed orders to
ensure that charges are captured and properly assigned.
* Ensure CE requirements are met by all doctors, and that CE attended is relevant to the service mix and needs of the hospital.
* Conduct regular doctor meetings.
* Work with hospital manager to have a doctor'™s schedule made available no less than four
weeks prior to beginning of month.
* Coordinate doctor coverage to make sure the hospital is covered at all times.
* Assist the Recruiting & Professional Relations Director (RPRD) and field management team in the hiring, disciplinary process, and the firing process of doctors as requested.
* Actively manage all doctors to ensure that they meet expected performance.
* Administer yearly reviews and development plans for all associate doctors under the direction of the RMD or ROD.
* Appropriately manage controlled drugs (see VCA Controlled Substances Guidelines).
Staff Management: Technicians/Assistants and Receptionists:
* Assist the Hospital Manager in ensuring each staff meeting has relevant topics, presenting a
medical topic if needed, and participate proactively in the meetings.
* Encourage all staff to increase knowledge through learning opportunities.
* Review staff scheduling with the hospital manager'™s attention to assure maximum productivity and optimal client service.
Responsibilities as part of the hospital leadership team:
* Works with the Hospital Manager and staff to deliver a consistent medical message and consistent client experience to each client.
* Responsible for auditing hospital production for accuracy via chart audits and other fee capture methods.
* Represents the hospital to the professional community and the general public as requested.
* Evaluates the need for new medical equipment and works with the Hospital Manager to
prepare and submit new equipment proformas to the ROD or their representatives.
* Brings to the Hospital Manager'™s attention any problems with physical plant cleanliness, safety,
* Participates in meetings or conference calls as requested by field management staff.
* Participates in employee disciplinary procedures, and enforces VCA and individual hospital
employee rules and policies.
* Review the P&L monthly and work with the hospital manager to increase profitability by
increasing revenue and limiting expenses.
* Work with the HM to prepare and submit the yearly budget (budget forecast, operating plan,
cap-ex expenditures) and participate in the evaluation process with field management.
* Support the implementation of VCA marketing programs.
* Review and approve requests for alternatives of additional drugs and medical supplies. Submit to the RMD or their representative, for approval. Assist the medical supplies ordering personnel to maintain a hospital pharmacy; assisting in evaluating reasonable reorder points, generic alternatives, and eliminating underused and redundant drugs.