The Dubuque Regional Humane Society is currently seeking a Full-time Veterinary Technician to proved animal care in the Hafeman Care Center.
The Veterinary Technician performs technical and routine animal care, which includes preparing for surgeries, giving shots and cleaning and maintaining animal enclosures. The Veterinary Technician is responsible for performing diagnostics and treatments, surgical preparation, pre- and post-operation medical and behavior assessment, foster support, rabies certificates, and general cleaning of the Hafeman Animal Care Center (Vet Clinic).
Essential Job Functions
- Receive, examine, and vaccinate animals when Veterinarian is not available. Administer medications, conduct health exams, and administer first-aid when necessary.
- Maintain medical records, both paper and electronic, for animals. Document physical examination findings and any adverse events on appropriate medical records.
- Perform humane euthanasia according to established protocol.
- Participate in group discussion regarding euthanasia decisions of animals.
- Review vaccination records and administer vaccines according to the DRHS’ vaccine protocol.
- Assist Veterinarian in medical procedures using proper restraint and surgical procedures.
- Ensure proper cleaning and storage of medical equipment. Wrap and autoclave surgical packs. Prepare surgical suite and paperwork for next day surgeries.
- Administer anesthesia and intubate animals. Monitor animals under anesthesia and their responses.
- Maintain pharmacy records and controlled drug logs.
- Perform blood analysis, in-house fecals, and urinalysis. Perform and analyze skin and ear cytologies.
- Complete ear cleanings and nail trims.
- Administer microchips.
- Maintain knowledge of animal inventory, and animal health, including shelter and foster animals, shelter events, and special needs of the shelter.
- Make daily rounds to ensure timely identification of medical issues.
- Safely transfer animals from one animal enclosure to another and ensure proper documentation.
- Ensure the cleanliness of the Hafeman Animal Care Center and its animal enclosures and provision of animals with new blankets, food, and water.
- Ensure the completion of laundry and dishes for Hafeman Animal Care Center.
- Provide timely, compassionate, and courteous service to customers, visitors, and volunteers.
- Provide accurate information to customers and volunteers about the DRHS’ policies and procedures.
- General office duties, including answering phones, data entry into PetPoint, filing, copying, and faxing.
- Ensure medical area has adequate supplies. Order supplies when needed.
- Other duties as assigned.